Win XP re install slave hdd not seen

captain birdseye 10:35 23 Jun 2004

Having re installed Win XP the slave HDD is not seen.
Checked the BIOS is set to auto detect hdd, checked the hdd and cable in another computer and they are ok.

Any suggestions please? Thanks.

Legolas 10:57 23 Jun 2004

Is the slave drive being seen in the BIOS? If so try this

right click on 'my computer' on the desktop double click 'manage' double click 'storage' on the right hand pane double click 'disk management'

if you can see the slave drive here right click it and click 'change drive letter and path' and assign the drive a drive letter.

AndySD 11:21 23 Jun 2004

As Legolas says go to Disk Management go Action then All Tasks then Import Foreign Disks

captain birdseye 12:04 23 Jun 2004

Hi guys, no, the slave is not been seen in the BIOS

D.O.M. 16:38 23 Jun 2004

I have experienced a similar problem with my HP which recovers Windows XP from a hidden partition. I found that re-installing Windows XP with the slave drive connected caused Windows to be installed to the second drive. To resolve I diconnected the slave drive then re-installed Windows, which corretly installed to the primary drive. Then once Windows was installed and I was happy it was running OK, I re-attached the second drive and hey presto Windows recognised it.
Try it...

Djohn 18:16 23 Jun 2004

Similar to above suggestions. Right click My Computer Icon left click "Management" then left click "Disk Management".

Right click in the right-hand pane on disk 1 and choose Partition [Even if you want to use the whole of the drive as one partition] then "Format" a full format can take an hour or more but if you know the disk is good then choose quick format, it will do so in seconds.

Legolas 19:36 23 Jun 2004

Go into the BIOS to where the drives are shown and scroll down to where the slave disk should be and press enter and see if the slave drive is now found.

captain birdseye 15:15 01 Jul 2004

Dear all, sorry for the delay......I've been away for a few days. Thanks for your suggestions. I eventually tracked the problem down to a corrupt RAID driver. Having re installed the driver the HDD was identified instantly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?