win xp professional wont let me log on

belcanto 00:54 02 Jan 2005

Hello to everyone,I restarted my 2nd pc following a download from microsoft. Now it keeps on asking me for a password to log in, whereas it never did before. I do not know what the pass word is-how do i find it out? I am using win xp proffessional.

Hope someone can help-belcanto

Large JD 01:12 02 Jan 2005

not sure if this will work, read it in recent mag. Reboot in safe mode, click on start, run, type "control userpasswords2" click ok. A control panel window opens, this is the default user and password window. Uncheck the box titled "users must enter a password to this computer. click apply, a second box will open. Enter the user name you want to use and the a new password. like i say not sure if it will work give it a try

GaT7 01:12 02 Jan 2005

This any help? click here. G

ahales42 01:46 02 Jan 2005

IF you never had a password before then just pressing the enter button should be ok.

GaT7 01:49 02 Jan 2005

If still no luck, also see the links here - click here. G

belcanto 12:43 02 Jan 2005

Hi there and thanks to all of you for your help-was able to get the probelm sorted, ironically enough before I saw the solution. Was glad to say though that we both came to the same conclusion.

Best wishes to everyone for 2005

belcanto

belcanto 00:07 25 May 2005

Hi there-am having the same problems as before, I've tried the Reboot in safe mode, click on start, run, type "control userpasswords2" click ok. A control panel window opens, this is the default user and password window. Uncheck the box titled "users must enter a password to this computer. click apply, a second box will open. Enter the user name you want to use and the a new password.No joy.

Have also tried the press F8 during rebooting your machine until it comes up with some options
(Safe Mode ect. ect.) and choose the following:
start windows with the last known good configuration. Still no joy.

Can anyone tell me what else that I can do-I can not get past the win xp log in window. Ironically it all started because i tried to be security concious and download an update from microsoft. NEVER AGAIN. Crossbow7, any ideas?

belcanto

lotvic 03:17 25 May 2005

Try this:

select the Built in Administrator account

Just press and hold "Ctrl + Alt + Delete" twice at the Welcome Screen and input your Administrator password (type in Administrator) in the classic logon window that appears, from here you will be able to go to Control Panel - user accounts and change your User Account password.

Or this: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Apps for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?