Win Xp problem

the kopite 06:48 26 May 2008

Hi Guys I have just started having trouble with xp. When I first start up the computer I get the desktop then when I click on any icon the last icon on my desktop becomes active. I then have to press control/alt/delete only then can I access the icon I require? I have tried system restore without success. Another problem is I tried the system checker in My Computer and it does not check my C drive? Thanks Kopite

Technotiger 07:56 26 May 2008

What is the last icon on your desktop? If you got rid of that one, does it still happen with the 'new' last icon on your desktop? Perhaps it is the individual program and not XP itself.

the kopite 08:47 26 May 2008

Hi Technotiger Yes I deleted the icon and it just done the same on the next icon ? Kopite

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:14 26 May 2008

system checker in My Computer?
Not sure what you mean.

to check your system for missing/corrupt windows files:-
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

the kopite 09:52 26 May 2008

Hi Fruit Sorry I meant my computer tools disk check Kopite

Technotiger 10:34 26 May 2008

Sorry I have had a busy morning ... anyway, have you followed Fruit Bat /\0/\'s suggestion, that would have been my next offer too.

the kopite 10:36 26 May 2008

I am just running a virus scan then will try scannow guys Kopite

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?