Win XP pro work

Bob The Nob© 10:05 07 Apr 2005

Can you make the shared folders over a network password protected in XP pro? Just like in win 98 because that feature was great.

Thanks
Bob

BigMoFoT 11:08 07 Apr 2005

If you have an NTFS file system you can set deny permissions to specific users so they will not be able to access it.

Bob The Nob© 10:29 11 Apr 2005

... I do have my drive as NTFS but I don't know how to set the user permissions.
But what I want is to password protect my HDD so when I want to access it over the network I enter a password. If I deny certain users would that stop them accessing their work? If it does how can I stop them from accessing certain drives/folders?

Windows 98 has the feature to lock drives with passswords so why hasn't XP got it?

BigMoFoT 10:41 11 Apr 2005

in Windows XP is based on the secure NT OS which requires the NTFS filing system to apply security policies and access rights. Without NTFS in XP you really do limit yourself especially where networking is concerned.
As far as I know there is no specific option to place a password on a HDD. From a networking and security point of view it isn't a very good idea, one password that will give you full access to a HDD over a netwrok....I don't think so. Besides the encryption level of the passord set in Win98 won't be no where near as high as what XP will offer...

In short XP pro is completeley different to 98 so unfortunatlery you can't expect things to be the same...
Change to NTFS!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?