Win XP Pro won't boot

Pusherman 00:04 26 Jul 2003

I'm using WinXP Pro and I went into msconfig via start/run and found in there an entry for wfkuogg.exe. I removed the tick next to it because I didn't want it starting the next time I start XP. Got the message to reboot my machine so I did. Now when it starts it gets as far as Verifying DMI Pool Data and stops. Does anyone know of a way of getting past this so I can put the tick back in msconfig (if that's what's causing the hang).

The reason why I wanted to do this was because periodically I get the dialup connection box appear telling me that a programme is trying to access optimalsoft.com. It started doing it late last night and I haven't loaded any new software for quite a while now. And when I located wfkuogg.exe it had a date and time stamp of last night about the same time that it first started happening. So I thought a little trial and error and disable that programme and reboot my machine and see if that stops the internet access. Not only has it stopped accessing the internet it's also stopped me from accessing my computer.

Hope someone can help
Cheers, Pusherman.

Pusherman 01:09 26 Jul 2003

In a systematic approach to fault diagnosis (that?s trial and error to me and you) I took out the second hard drive, both CD drives, second graphics card, sound card etc until I was down to a basic system but this still didn?t work. I then disconnected the hard drive and replaced it with an old one that, although worked, wasn?t being used and guess what? It worked! Looks like I have a duff hard drive on my hands.

Anyone want to buy it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Apps for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?