Win XP Pro retail & Forgotten Password & Lost CD

Giggle n' Bits 23:18 01 Dec 2003

Me helping friend, My Freind has forgotten password to type in the box on booting up XP Pro.

There are two user names on PC User 2 can gain access and get to the Desktop but is limited to changing settings due to not been the administrater.

User 2 who has gone off with another women & changed the password before leaving and he has the aurthority for being Computer Admin.

Is it possible with not having the CD (That also gone lost/missplaced in split) to get access and bypass the login password you get on boot up of XP pro.

I have my XP Home OEM CD but don't want to infringe any rights.

Can anyone help here please.

©®@$? 23:33 01 Dec 2003
  ahales42 23:33 01 Dec 2003

when "your friend" clicks on his name and is prompted for a password, there is an arrow for password hint. that should remind him.

ahales42 23:37 01 Dec 2003

cr@$? Does this mean that if someone steals my comp they can gain access as admin?

©®@$? 23:38 01 Dec 2003

no idea!

wouldn't of thought microsoft would of been that stupid, but it has been mentioned!

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:04 02 Dec 2003

It takes about 30 seconds to break an administrators password on XP, 2000 and NT (it can be done with a W98CD in an emergency ;-)) ). There are also loads of freely available progs, such as *ahem* John the Ripper, that can do the job faster. It is also fairly easy to make yourself the administrator and bypass the main admin...*cough* safe mode *cough*. All this info is freely available on the internet so it is not like I'm selling the family silver. ;-))

If people are paranoid about others seeing the drivel that comprises the bulk of info on home computers, then they should at least know this.

G

Giggle n' Bits 00:12 02 Dec 2003

Google site by Safe mode Boot & F8 etc.
The HINT option didn't work and just re
minded me to type in Upper or Lower Case letter.s

GANDALF <|:-)> U Star, this sounds promising, going now to try it, back later.

Giggle n' Bits 00:26 02 Dec 2003

& ©®@$? Tried the Safe mode option as via Google link and it still asks for password when hitting enter.

powerless 00:29 02 Dec 2003

Hit enter again.

Giggle n' Bits 00:31 02 Dec 2003

I have hit Enter over and over and it just does nothing after 3 + Enters. Thanks for your Call.

leo49 00:36 02 Dec 2003

Easiest way is to boot up with a Windows 2K disk and then you can do anything you like.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?