win xp pro-lost 'user profiles' at boot up

ableseas 15:29 08 Jan 2006

Hi Folks,

Hope those more knowlegeable than myself can help with this one please.
I'm running Win xp pro and upon boot up and after getting past the windows xp pro splash screen the computer takes minutes(hard drive lamp stays on for ages) before it reveals the two user profile icons I have on the screen.Upon clicking my user profile the system responds with something along the the lines that it cant find my profile and therefore loads a default profile in its place.
If i goto my hard drive 'documents and settings'I can see the folders for my existing(missing) profile's and the desktop folders there within.
Please..how do I get my user profile's back and therefore my desktop settings.
Thanks for your help in advance.

rawprawn 15:32 08 Jan 2006

System Restore?

Thalmus 16:32 08 Jan 2006

Does this help?

click here;en-us;811151

Thalmus 16:32 08 Jan 2006

Heres that link again click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:36 08 Jan 2006

Just drag the favourites, desktop , etc. folders from the old profile to the new one

ableseas 18:18 08 Jan 2006

Thanks 'Thalmus' and 'Fruit Bat'.
Problem now solved thanks to you two.

Parker21 12:35 13 Mar 2006

Hi Guys, I am running XP Home but have a similar problem. I lost my profile and tried the Microsoft restore (see Thalmus reply : Sun, [email protected]:32click here;en-us;811151.) It doesn't help me!

I cannot find my Old_User profile, there just isn't one. Not in C: anywhere. I am now using the profile created for me and have modified it to suit me. However, if this profile gets corrupted, I cannot back up as I cannot find where Windows is storing the data for the "new" profile I am now using. The only profile I can find is called NTProfile which seems to be associated with the registry.

Thanks for reading this. Parker.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?