win xp pro help

lenallen 16:36 08 Oct 2011

tried to do windows xp repair, done that ok, but now windows wont boot and cant get into safe mode. help needed to recover info off hard drive...... please

onthelimit1 17:22 08 Oct 2011

I've had no end of problems with XP repair. However, getting the data off the hard drive is easy. Just use a suitable caddy - they're cheap enough - some examples here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:31 08 Oct 2011

At what point is it failing to load?

lenallen 18:33 08 Oct 2011

At the start when scroling bars are displayed

lenallen 18:37 08 Oct 2011

ONTHELIMIT1. How would I use a caddy ??

onthelimit1 18:41 08 Oct 2011

You take the HDD out of your existing PC, plug it into the caddy, connect to another PC and then copy and paste/transfer the files you want to keep from the drive in the caddy to somewhere on the PC, or to a memory stick (depending on the size of the files).

lenallen 18:42 08 Oct 2011

Thank you ONTHELIMIT1

onthelimit1 19:00 08 Oct 2011

You could try tapping F8 on boot, to see if you can go for 'last known good config'. Unlikely, but worth a try.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:18 08 Oct 2011

That's often a driver problem so it should load in safe mode.

Delete the drivers one at a time, starting with the graphics driver, until you find which one is causing the problem.

james341 13:38 13 Oct 2011

Hi,

I do not have much idea about Windows XP repair, but i can suggest you that it is possible to recover hard drive. You can recover lost data from the hard drive by using hard drive recovery software. Download Remo Recover (Windows) Pro edition software and recover you lost data from hard drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:55 13 Oct 2011

Above post Smells of spam to me.

There are many free recovery programs to be had and just because windows will not boot at the moment doesn't mean that you need a HDD recovery program.

As stated earlier connecting the drie in a caddy to another machine will make data recovery easy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?