Win XP & Office 97 conflict?

Muffindog 15:23 11 Feb 2004

Just replaced my old Win 95 PC with a new P4 Dell running Win XP Home edition. Installed Office 97 and it all seems to work fine except for one strange problem.

Access a document through the My Computer file structure, click on it and Word opens up fine. Open Word and access a document via the 'most recently used documents' under the file menu, and it works fine. But, if I open Word and click on the 'open' icon or use 'file/open', the window that pops up is empty below the destination folder. Eg, if the file location is set to \..\..\my documents, nothing is shown as accessible, even though there are documents and sub-folders within My Documents.

I also get an error message saying that certain files may not meet the search criteria and are not shown. Word saves documents fine with no problem, but it can't find them again if I use the 'open' icon or 'file/open' to access them.

I've re-installed Office 97 with exactly the same problem, and checked the file locations and file types settings. I haven't tried Excel or Powerpoint yet.

Any clues?

Muffindog

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?