Win XP no install- locked in loop

FCD 12:43 16 Jan 2009

I have a 2 year old self build C2D system. Recently I found a small problem with a windows programme so tried a Win XP repair. This failed so I re-formatted the HDD and tried a fresh re-install of XP.

The computer boots from the Win XP CD; loads the inityial set up files; shows the "Welcome to set up screen" followed by the EULA. I then select the install partition and windows starts to load the next set of files. Once complete the computer reboots but then begins the whole initial set up process again.

It seems to be a continuous loop which I cannot get out of. I have just installed a brand new SATA HDD but have the same result - once the computer reboots we start all over again. If I now continue, I see a mesage that there is another OS already installed which may conflict - I enter the option to delete this and install a new OS but once again when the computer reboots we start all over with the initial set up process.

I have installed XP many times over the years and never seen this so v grateful for any help anyone can give.

PO79 12:47 16 Jan 2009

Don't know if it's causing the problem but are you using F6 to install the SATA drivers for your HD when prompted.

FCD 12:52 16 Jan 2009

No I didn't - I'll check that now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?