win xp network wizard & hd

Smokeyone 12:03 13 Jan 2006

Hello
I am hoping someone can advise me on a problem I have with network wizard & my hd's. When you almost finish running net wiz it asks about making a disc for running on your other pc for set up - except it only offers choices of drive letters for things like smart media, compact flash etc not the correct drive like D or E.
How do I sort this out through computer management. They are listed in an order where my cd writer & dvd-rom come last so is it possible to re-arrange the order.
Thanks in hope

djwheeler 13:27 13 Jan 2006

Not used it myself but maybe it will only let you put the setup file onto removable media such as a memory card or a floppy disk and not a CD or DVD (do you have the option to put it onto floppy disk? Just wondering but are the other machines that you want to setup runnning Widnows XP? If so you can just run the network setup wizard again on all of these machines.

Smokeyone 13:41 13 Jan 2006

You might be right but my pc does not have a floppy.
Also, I have a Hp pc which usually means win xp disc will not work on another pc, which in my case is a five year old win 98.

mgmcc 13:59 13 Jan 2006

You don't need to create a setup disk to run in the "other' PCs - I have never created or used one.

The Windows 98 PC can be set up manually and how you do it depends how you are networking it:

- If you are connecting to a router, or if you are enabling "Internet Connection Sharing" in the XP PC, then the 98 PC's network adapter should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the router (and an ICS enabled "host" PC is a "router").

- If there is no internet involvement, and the network is just for File and/or Printer Sharing, then you need to allocate IP addresses manually to each network adapter using one of the address ranges reserved for use with Local Area Networks, most commonly a 192.168.x.x range with the Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Smokeyone 16:04 13 Jan 2006

Thanks for the help. No internet, just file sharing.
So I just need to allocate IP addresses........

mgmcc 19:46 13 Jan 2006

OK, I assume that you are connecting the two PCs directly - "Network adapter" to "Network Adapter" - and that you have used a *CROSSOVER* ethernet cable to do this?

In the Windows XP PC, open the Network Connections folder, right click the "Local Area Connection" and select Properties. Highlight the entry for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button. In the box that opens, click "Use the following IP address and enter:

IP address - 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Click OK and OK again to close the two boxes.

Set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "shared" by right clicking and selecting the "Sharing & Security" option.

In the Windows 98SE PC, right click "Network Neighborhood" and select Properties. Highlight the TCP/IP entry that relates to the network adapter that you are connecting to the XP PC with - there will be an individual entry for each installed network adapter including the "Dial-Up Adapter". Clich the Properties button and, in the "IP Address" tab of the box that opens, click "Specify an IP address" and enter:

IP address - 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

(the IP address has a different number in the last part, the Subnet Mask is the same as the first PC)

Click OK once to return to the first box. Click the button for "File & Printer Sharing" and tick one or both boxes as appropriate. Click OK twice to close the two boxes and you will have to reboot the PC.

Once rebooted, set any folders in the Win98SE PC that you want to have available over the network as "shared", in the same way as with the XP PC. In any case, make sure that you have at least one folder set as shared in each PC to get the two talking to one another.

If you have any third-party firewall software instaled, it needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers, normally done by adding their IP addresses to the "trusted" area.

See how you get on with that :-)

Smokeyone 07:51 14 Jan 2006

I really appreciate the help. Success at last.
I have been fiddling around for ages before I posted on the forum.
Thanks very much for going through it step by step.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?