Win XP license

a_dani19 18:55 13 May 2006

I’ve built my own desktop PC, mainly by cannibalising parts from other machines. Can I install Win XP Home, which I received with my new laptop from ACER?
Does the license agreement allow for that?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:58 13 May 2006

In a word NO

One license per machine

If you do your system will be classed as non genuine and you may not beable to upgrade on either machine.

woodchip 19:43 13 May 2006

If it's a full OEM CD that's as been on your new computer over three months yes it will work

woodchip 19:44 13 May 2006

But leagaly should only be on one comp at any one time

Smiler 19:49 13 May 2006

I think you will find that the Acer disc is tied in someway to the laptop and will not install on another machine.
As has been said though one machine, one copy of XP

woodchip 19:50 13 May 2006

What have you to lose by trying it

dontmeshwithme 00:04 14 May 2006

Microsoft can be really bloody minded over such matters I had a Pc die on me at work and took out the HD and built a new computer to house it in. Microsoft would not let me activate the OEM copy of windows I had on the HD on the new machine as it was an OEM copy. However if memory serves me correct you can install retail versions of microsoft products on 2 machines (home and work) providing they are not being both used at once. Unless anyone knows better?

Smiler 09:44 17 May 2006

Your memory is wrong

click here

Stuartli 10:19 17 May 2006

You are probably thinking of the Home Usage Programme (HUP) for Office XP. See:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?