WIN XP Home Recovery Disk

iscanut 13:16 11 Dec 2003

In order to repair a system file, it would seem I need to get into the Repair function by booting up with the CD Rom. I only have a recovery disk ( from Mesh ). Does anyone know if this function is available as if it was the Retail version of Win XP ?

Start, Run, 'sfc /scannow', OK. Note the space. this will scan and repair your files.

VoG II 21:26 11 Dec 2003

XP System Recovery is a set of 5 CDs.

VoG II 21:33 11 Dec 2003

Er, no. You can get a set of 6 floppy disks if you can't or don't want to try a repair by booting from the Windows XP CD. You still need the CD (probably) although you can start the Recovery Console.

misters 21:38 11 Dec 2003

just thought i would add this to my post.

alcudia 21:51 11 Dec 2003

It is also possible to install the recovery console and have it appear as an option on the boot menu.

Insert the XP cd, open a command prompt and type:

X:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

where x is the letter of the cd drive.

You will get a short confirmation message. Click Yes. Done.

I hear what you're saying, but hp supplied me with a set of 5 CDs which are titled System Recovery. 'This CD contains a backup copy of all software originally installed', it says on them.

This is clearly not an XP installation disc!

Nuts.

VoG II 22:27 11 Dec 2003

OK, sorry I was getting confused. As Nuts has a machine from Mesh it is likely that they have a different set of disks.

plsndrs3 22:32 11 Dec 2003

I agree with VoG. Normally, back up is a maximum of 2 CDs - 1 with the free software, the other with a full, or part of Windows [the rest being on a hidden partition].

6 DISKS!?!?!? That is some SERIOUS 'previously installed hardware' - even assuming that one is the Service Pack.

Of course, they could have supplied individual disks for each program, but this is a tad wasteful as most CDs can hold 4 or 5 of todays *standard* programs .....

Paul

powerless 22:35 11 Dec 2003

me thinks the vogster is on about the 6 floppy dics to boot from the CD?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?