Win XP Home not shutting down

Migwell 00:08 15 Feb 2007

Windows XP Home will not shut down in the propper way. The only way I can get it to shut down is to do the following:
1) Click Start
2) Click Logg Off
3) Click Swich User
4) Click Turn Off Computer, at bottom left of screen
5) Click Turn Off
6) A sign then appears (Other people are logged onto this computer. Shutting down might cause them to lose data. Do you want to continue shutting down.
7) Click on Yes

It then seems to close down fine.

Second problem which I think might be connected with the first is:

When I type sfc /scannow the black DOS like screen shows for about 1/2 a second and just disapears.

What is wrong and how do I fix it.

I have looked on the database here but most things are about Windows re-booting which is not the problem I have I just can't get it to shut down. Even pressing the power button for 1/2 a second will not get it to close down either. I can get it to go into stand by also it will hibernate.

Migwell 00:22 16 Feb 2007

Bump

phono 01:54 16 Feb 2007

Try clicking Start > Run and typing in the box cmd then hit return, this should open a command line interface, now type in sfc /scannow and hit return, see if it runs now.

You probably need to hold the power button in for 4 plus seconds to turn off as most BIOS' are set to this by default, a quick press usually brings up the standby or possibly hibernation option, you need to keep the button depressed for 4 or more seconds when it should switch off.

Migwell 18:45 16 Feb 2007

sfc /scannow just flashes on and off as quick.

Start/ Turn Off Computer / Turn Off. Is still not working.

I am still using the method to close down Windows and switch off as in the first post above. I have since found the way that I have to do it is one of the recommendations used in Microsoft Help, but still can't find a solution to the problem.

Holding in the Power Button on the front of the computer will shut the thing down, but it will not close down Windows first.

Any ideas please as this is getting on my nerves, and I like things to work in the propper mannor

VoG II 18:50 16 Feb 2007

Shut down click here

SFC click here

Jackcoms 18:56 16 Feb 2007

Assuming you have multiple users, try installing the MS User Profile Hive cleanup service to help with slow log off click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:44 16 Feb 2007

Shutdown problems
click here
click here
click here

RicScott 20:50 16 Feb 2007

Click Start > Run > Type: MSCONFIG and click OK.
Click the startup tab > Disable all > Apply > Close > Restart.

Once restarted, close it down..Does it shut off...?

Migwell 09:12 19 Feb 2007

msconfig was the answer to making things better. i went into that and knocked out a few programs which i thought i could do without at start up. this has let windows shut down in the propper manor. i will start to add them back in one at a time to try to re-implement the problem, then we shall know what the rogue is when the problem showes up again. i will close this posting down for now but if i find out what caused the problems i will come back to report on it.

Thanks for the help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?