Win Xp Hibernation, computer restarts by its self

Migwell 07:33 29 Oct 2005

I use hibernation to shut down at night and through the day if I want to leave the computer for quite some time. On occasion it will just start up again after what looks like a normal hibernation, this could be about two minutes or some times through the night.

Why is this happening and how do I stop it happening?

T0SH 09:41 29 Oct 2005

Enter BIOS setup, search though the pages for any entries with names simmilar to "Wake on LAN" or "Wake on Modem ring" disable them, then chose "exit saving settings"

Not all BIOS types are the same, but if you have a manual for your computer motherboard or can access the makers site and download one all the settings will be listed normally with pictures

Cheers HC

Migwell 17:32 29 Oct 2005

Wake up on LAN is disabled. This seems to be a random thing. Any further thoughts.

Graham ® 17:44 29 Oct 2005

Could be the mouse moving?

Xzrox 19:59 29 Oct 2005

I understand what you mean.... it happens as well, say, 1 in every 10 hibernations on my VAIO S-Series laptop under Windows XP Professional.

I'm going to see if moving the mouse has something to do with it, but I can certainly agree that this kind of blip is happening.

Migwell 20:23 29 Oct 2005

Mouse not moving. Any how mother board not set to start on mouse movement, should only start up on press any key on keyboard and main switch on the front of the computer.

Starting to think about spooks and other such things, LOL

phil46 20:49 29 Oct 2005

Check power in my computer that hibernation is not set for shutdown.

Migwell 01:08 30 Oct 2005

Power Options Properties.

Power Schemes Tab
Under Power Schemes saved as HOME / OFFICE DESK MY OWN.
Under Settings for Home / office desk my own
Turn Off Monitor = 10 Minutes
Turn Off Hard Disks = Never
System Stand By = Never
System Hibernates = After 1 Hour

Advanced Tab
Under When I press the power button on My Computer = Ask me what to do
Under When I press the sleep button on my Computer = Hibenate

Hibenate Tab
Tick in Hibenation Box.

These are all the settings

The Only BIOS Setting is for to wake up on pressing any key on Keyboard, all other start settings ore set to off.

Thanks again

DieSse 01:26 30 Oct 2005

Try setting the wake on keyboard to off then. Perhaps the cats walking on it!

Migwell 01:34 30 Oct 2005

NO cats within a mile of my computer, or 4 legged mice or dogs or anything else other than me.

Migwell 01:37 30 Oct 2005

Have always had the keyboard set to start on Press any key to wake up computer and not had this problem untill the last couple of weeks. Have not changed any settings in months either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?