Win XP failing to startup after NAV 2005 install

Handy Spinner 20:40 01 Jan 2006

Greetings all,

I have finally started building my new PC, using Windows XP instead of the old 98 I've been using for years. Installation went well, until I installed my first program - Norton AntiVirus 2005. After NAV completed its installation, it required a reboot, which I did - except that the PC wouldn't startup, the startup animation would just play for hours, occasionally hanging.

I was able to get into safe mode, and tried to uninstall NAV. Unfortunately NAV told me, basically, "no", since "Setup has detected Windows is running in Safe Mode. Please restart your machine in normal mode. Setup wil now exit." Which doesn't help me very much.

Help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Spinner

jimv7 20:46 01 Jan 2006

Press f8 on stsrt up and choose 'last known good configuration' if that works then do no install norton, try avg or avast for anti-virus and sygate or 1 of the other free 1's for your firewall.

jimv7 20:47 01 Jan 2006

Press f8 on start up and choose 'last known good configuration' if that works then do not install norton, try avg or avast for anti-virus and sygate or 1 of the other free 1's for your firewall.

Handy Spinner 20:48 01 Jan 2006

Already tried the 'last known good configuration'. It won't boot with that either.

hargranules 21:03 01 Jan 2006

I mended a pc with a virus that had norton on it. It had crashed and had to remove norton before it would allow me to load new anti - virus. I loaded mcafee which deleted norton as part of it's install. I downloaded Mcafee free trial from Internet.

I have also used scandisc in msdos to erase corrupt files. The link below gives more information.

click here

VoG II 21:20 01 Jan 2006

Will it start in Safe Mode with Command Prompt?

If it will, type the following at the > prompt and press Enter

C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

To restore to the point before you loaded Norton.

Handy Spinner 21:37 01 Jan 2006

Thanks for that - it will start in Safe Mode with Command Prompt, but sadly only one restore point is available, and it still won't boot even if I try restoring to that one.

hargranules 21:40 01 Jan 2006

Have you tried scan disc?

VoG II 21:40 01 Jan 2006

Well you haven't got much to lose by reinstalling Windows.

Number 7 21:58 01 Jan 2006

Will it start in just plain Safe Mode?

If it will you can get to msconfig and untick the entries for Norton and restart.

You can then try and uninstall/re-install Norton.

One more thing (longshot), have a look in the BIOS for a built-in antivirus setting that protects the boot sector at boot time.

If it's set to enabled, disable it and try a restart.

Handy Spinner 17:11 04 Jan 2006

Number 7 - it will boot into plain Safe Mode, but still no go after unchecking the msconfig entries.

VoG™ - right, have tried deleting the RAID array and reloading Windows. Sadly this time it allowed me one successful restart, but subsequently the old problem appeared.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Spinner

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?