Win XP Explorer - Folder Side Bar

TonyV 15:39 29 Mar 2005

I have a similar problem to the one written by poogle_uk today, (Windows XP Side Bar). I can get the Side Bar up in My Computer, Control Panel, My Documents etc, but can not get it to come up permanently in Windows Explorer. The only way to get it up there is as Fruit Bat /\0/\ said. Click on the X adjacent to the Folder Window Title. Does the Side Bar not stay permanently on in Explorer XP? The settings mentioned in poogle_uk's thread have all been made, but every-time I switch off Windows Explorer and then re-ignite it, the folder listings come up!!

SANTOS7 15:44 29 Mar 2005

click here
this may help......

TonyV 15:51 29 Mar 2005

Thanks for your comment. It looks very interesting but is not quite what I was looking for. I want to get the WIN XP alternative panel to the Folders View. The beauty of the Side Bar that you suggest is that it can have all the RSS news items similar to that available in FireFox.

TonyV 20:40 29 Mar 2005

I've noticed tonight that in Explorer, under View/Explorer bar, the Folders option is always checked. If I uncheck it, then the Side Bar system comes in to being. But again when I close Explorer down and re-ignite, the check appears against Folders. Is this the norm?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:44 29 Mar 2005

When you have the folder lokking as you want it then select
tools - view- folder options apply to all folders.

This should the set it so it appears next time you open Explorer

TonyV 20:54 29 Mar 2005

No. I've tried that and still the Folder listing comes up if I switch off and come back in again. It seems there is no way apart from manually changing the view to get the side bar in to Explorer!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?