Win XP Event log Error

dave-jens 21:38 26 Jun 2005

My computer keeps crashing for all sorts of unknown reasons, sometimes games, Word or Internet. The System Event Viewer shows this log when rebooted. ( After switching off as the blue screen comes up saying Windows has been shut down to prevent damage.)******
" A blue screen (Stop error) was reported. The message contains details about the error. A matching event with Event ID 1001 might also appear in the event log. This matching event displays information about the specific error that occurred." ****** the event ID is often 1003 and 1001. ER_KRNLCRASH_LOG.
Anyone know how to fix it? Is it a spyware problem?

Diodorus Siculus 08:00 27 Jun 2005

Try the system file checker:

start

run

sfc /scannow

dave-jens 18:30 15 Jul 2005

I removed the 9600 ATI card and sent it back to Crucial for a replacement. In the mean time I put the 7200 ATI back in.
This was more stable but I still had some "blue screen" problems but not as often.
While waiting for the replacement from Crucial, suspecting it must be something else as the 7200 had not cured it, I checked ASUS for BIOS updates. I had version 1007 from late 2003. Their latest was a 1014 Beta version and several in between.
I noticed the 1009 version said, " Improves ATI VGA compatability for some cards."
I downloaded it and "flashed it."
The PC booted up O.K. but I could not use my keyboard to log on to XP!
I got in using Safe mode and set up a Guest account using the On Screen Keyboard . In the System files there was no keyboard showing and I could not install one!!!
Suprisingly when I booted up and entered the BIOS the keyboard was fine, until Windows opened when it froze the mouse.
After trying various things to no avail I checked the BIOS versions at ASUS again. Lo and behold version 1010 said, "Resolves P/S2 Keyboard fault."
I downloaded it and after several attempts "Flashed" this version, booted up and it worked fine again.
The new 9600 arrived and that has been re-fitted, this and the 7200 has worked fine since. ( No Blue screens.). It appears it was the BIOS all along.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone