Win updates to-day

muddypaws 19:37 12 Jul 2006

I have just downloaded and installed today's windows updates: KB914388, 917159, 916595.
I restarted in the normal way--then everything went haywire. When the PC restarted it said that the computer could not be restored to some date in June! ( thank god for that). When it booted up my system tray was full of start up programmes that I had never heard of. It has taken me an hour in msconfig to get back to normal. Anyone else had any problems? If you haven't yet done those updates then beware.
Win XPHome SP2.

MAJ 19:57 12 Jul 2006

No problems with the updates here, muddypaws. You could restore to before you installed them and re-download.

Spark6 21:00 12 Jul 2006

No problems with XP updates, am now updating Office 2003 on 2nd machine.

wee eddie 21:29 12 Jul 2006

Always set a Restore Point before I start though.

muddypaws 21:34 12 Jul 2006

Thanks all. It's always the one time you don't set a restore point! Must have been a one off for my system.

ade.h 21:54 12 Jul 2006

Damn, and I'm about to reboot having just downloaded them all. You have me a little worried now.

Probably nothing to fret about though; I can't imagine any MS update creating the symptoms that you describe. Maybe they aren't related or your PC really was that "one in a million".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?