WIN RAR...?

ynohtna 10:53 16 Dec 2006

Hi,
Today i received a cd from a friend containing various mp3 music files. I insert the cd and use the expolre 'd' drive function with the intention of selecting all, copying and pasting to my documents. Now some of the files come up with WIN RAR (the icon is like a pile of books with a belt around them) and i cant seem to open, copy, cut or so anything with these files and it keeps asking me for a password... whats RAR and how does it work...? Ta

anskyber 11:15 16 Dec 2006

Its a compression utility and you need a program which will decompress and "open" the file. It sounds as if yours may be password protected.

click here

anchor 15:42 16 Dec 2006

As you have been told, WinRAR files are compressed files, similar to zip files.

A free trial version of WinRAR is available here:

click here

However, as anskyber says, it sounds that possibly they have been password protected. If so, you will need the password from your friend to un-compress the files.

rodriguez 14:46 17 Dec 2006

Your friend should know the password, but if they copied it without realising there was a password on it, then you might have to go to a website to get it. If you just double click the file so that it opens in Winrar you'll see the files along the left of the screen and there's a space along the right. This space will probably have a web address that you have to go to to get the password. Sometimes the actual password is just the full URL of this address as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?