Win M.E upgrade to W2k???????

tinny76 17:05 02 Jun 2003

Hello can i upgrade windows millenium edition to w2k pro or do i have to do a clean install.
If i can upgrade are all my applications safe or is there the possibility that they may be wiped???????
thanks in antcipation
tin

tinny76 17:41 02 Jun 2003

refresh

matt5705 17:45 02 Jun 2003

i dont get wat u mean by w2k but i will asume u want to upgrade to 2000 pro, well i did the same to a laptop and it was not even affected just some compadibility but quckly sorted u can go for a upgrade it will be quicker

tinny76 17:48 02 Jun 2003

thats good enough for me, ta.......
tin

spikeychris 17:52 02 Jun 2003

Sorry but you can't upgrade from ME to 2K.

Chris

tinny76 17:57 02 Jun 2003

definately not???????

spikeychris 18:02 02 Jun 2003

Well theres no such thing as definate but its a none starter. You would have to change so much its not worth it. You can obviously run a clean install though..

Chris

tinny76 18:05 02 Jun 2003

ta

spikeychris 18:08 02 Jun 2003

How about a dual boot?

Ironman556 18:42 02 Jun 2003

Why upgrade at all? You may have a good reason to, and in that case fair enough, but a lot of hardware hasn't got supported drivers for w2k. I think you can use drivers made for a different OS for most things though.

HighTower 18:49 02 Jun 2003

I upgraded from Me to 2k. Boot up Windows Me, pop in your 2000 disk. Windows will detect that there is a newer version of Windows on the disk and ask you if you want to upgrade. Click "yes" and you are off!

Only thing to watch out for is device driver compatibility. I have upgraded two p.c.'s from Me to 2k, one of them was seamless but the other needed an updated hard disk controller driver (I think it was a VIA controller) on floppy before the install could take place. Then when setup starts it will ask you for the location of the new driver and take it from there. You probably won't have this problem but the Setup program will generate a report which you should look carefully at. If you just need an updated driver for a printer or scanner then I wouldn't worry too much about it, but anything more serious you should maybe get advice on the forum before you upgrade.

Also, when asked if you want to convert your drive to NTFS I would recommend you choose to do so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone