Win ME System Restore

yogibear 08:14 12 May 2003

For some reason, my system keps turning SR off. I keep re-enabling it, it promptly re-disables itself.
I have been through all the related threads on this site, downloaded patches, altered registry, all to no avail.
I am now going to try running ME setup again, but I am annoyed that it does this and there seems to be no fix for it.

Hitman codename 47 11:16 12 May 2003

AFter September 2001 ME system restore does not work so the correct patch has to be installed to make sure it works.

click here

Also right click on my computer - properties.

Then click the far right tab. Go to where you can change advanced features and make sure the "disable system restore " box is unchecked.

OneSirKnight 11:23 12 May 2003

Hi m8, a little word in your shell like! system restore in windows ME is very unstable,best solution i can offer is to disable it,and do your restore from startup with bootdisk and at the A:\ type as follows without quotes "Scanreg /restore" don't forget space between scanreg and /restore,from there you will be offered restore dates.

Mango Grummit 11:30 12 May 2003

There is a lot of software about that does actually prevent automatic restore points being made on some machines, ZoneAlarm being one (but by no means not the only one).

I myself running WinME have this quirk on one machine but not the others. On that one I merely create a manual restore point regularly as workaround. Sometimes whatever you do there is simply no other answer other than to identify which programme(s) are causing the problem and remove it/them.

Regards

M

yogibear 09:46 13 May 2003

Thanks for that. I do use zonealarm, so that may be the prob. I must admit that I have just put it back on my system, just about the time the probs started. As I recall it was OK prior to that.

Oh, well. Live and learn.

All advice much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017