WIN ME install Windows Media Player 9

bpzoom 17:18 29 Dec 2003

Asking on behalf of my son whose machine has "looped" whlist unstalling WMP9 on his Win ME system. The download of WMP9 came from Windows automatic updates. It apparently downloaded successfully and asked for a reboot. Then cam the problem. It says on black and white screen "please wait while setup updates your configuration files, this will take a few minutes" Nothing then happens except for continual Hdd (?) light flashing. Left it for two hours, nothing happened. Tried two more reboots and the above is repeated. He cannot get back into Windows. Can anyone advise please?

johnnyrocker 17:29 29 Dec 2003

if control panel available try add/remove progs and uninstall media player from there, failing that try system restore to prior installation.

johnny.

VoG II 17:32 29 Dec 2003

Can he get into Safe Mode?

bpzoom 17:41 29 Dec 2003

I asked him to go into Safe Mode, but he appeared to be unable to do so. Since your response, I have asked him to retry by repeated rebooting and hitting each F key in turn to find the right one to get into Safe Mode. The machine is home built and there is no manual to say which F key is the correct one. If he can get into Safe Mode, what does he do then please? And thanks for responding anyway. (Also JohnnyRocker)

VoG II 17:44 29 Dec 2003

Should be F5 or F8 to get into Safe Mode.

Then try a System Restore. As I can't remember where that is in ME, it can be started from a DOS prompt:

C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

bpzoom 17:49 29 Dec 2003

OK, he found the safe Mode option with F5, but when he took it all he gets is the initial Windows logo screen but no desk top to get at add/remove etc to take up JohnnyRockers suggestion to remove WINMP. Any advice welcome please.

bpzoom 18:02 29 Dec 2003

Latest is he gets to the 4 options screen one of which is SafeMode. Pressing that just puts up the logo screen, no more. If he is back at the 4 options screen how can he get to a DOS prompt to try your helpful suggestion to do a system restore from DOS. Or is there another route to try something else from the 4 options screen?

VoG II 18:03 29 Dec 2003

Is one of the options MSDOS mode or similar? It's a long time since I had ME and I can't remember what the options are.

wx622 18:13 29 Dec 2003

What he needs to do is boot into Safe Mode, using the F5 key during startup ( or by using a Windows 98/ME Startup Disk). Then he needs to right-click My Computer once Safe Mode is reached, go to Properties, then the Advanced Tab, and tick the box next to Enable Startup Menu. Then reboot and press Shift+F5 at the startup menu, and this is where you can get to a DOS commnad line.

bpzoom 18:32 29 Dec 2003

Thanks, but his F5 then safemode only produces the windows logo screen, no desk top is available to proceed as you suggest. I have now advised him to dig out a win me startup disc and get to dos that way and then try a system restore as VoG kindly suggested.

bpzoom 18:34 29 Dec 2003

None of the 4 options appears at first sight to offer a Dos prompt. I am on XP and am unable to replicate what he sees on ME.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?