Win Defender USB error message

wint 22:07 13 May 2008

Windows XP home SP2, AMD 2400 with 768MB RAM

On boot up, I see a message asking for installation of a USB driver for Windows Defender and also "The requested control is not valid for this service - Control Service". I have to cancel these messages to continue.

I have uninstalled Windows Defender, virus swept with McAfee, run CCleaner several times and reinstalled and run Win Defender, all to no avail. I keep seeing the same messages every time I boot up.

Can anyone think of some other way to get rid? I want to use this PC as a security camera DVR which will auto boot and load the (Swann) security software.

Thanks,

wint

ambra4 22:16 13 May 2008

Just uninstall Windows Defender and see if the computer will reboot without the error

Personal I uninstall Windows Defender don't like and don't want not worth the trouble

wint 22:20 13 May 2008

As I said above, I have uninstalled it already with no effect.

I have also reinstalled and then uninstalled to see if it would take away the error.

it didn't...

ambra4 04:45 14 May 2008

Do not use Microsoft Add/Remove program as it leave a lot of crap behind in the registry

like all of Microsoft programs

Try the following program to remove Windows Defender you might have to reinstall and

than uninstall using the programs listed below

click here

birdface 07:13 14 May 2008

Looks like it was a Microsoft update that caused the problem so far no fix for it.click here

birdface 07:17 14 May 2008

Oops sorry that was on Vista and you are using XP.

rawprawn 07:56 14 May 2008

Try stopping the service by putting it on manual,rebooting and putting it back on auto. Change the Startup type to "Manual" from the Services Properties. Right-click Windows Defender, and click Properties to see the option

rawprawn 08:01 14 May 2008

Alternatively, you could just leave it on Manual. I don't rate it very highly anyway. It's function is easily replaced by free WinPatrol click here and free Superantispyware click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?