Win Cleaner & Invalid Registry Files?

ruskle 11:49 01 Sep 2005

After backing up the registry I ran Ultra Wincleaner (from Advisor disk),then Norton A/V would not run, I restored the Registry and it was OK. After trial and error I found which 4 files were deleted but still needed, starting EF097685.... I then ran registry cleaner and had to delete each unwanted file manually rather than "tick, delete all". Then backed up the reistry again, with the 4 files intact. How can I get over this, it's a bit tedious looking through maybe 100 files and ticking each one in turn.
Any solutions, Russell.

dave_and_confused 12:02 01 Sep 2005

The Registry Cleaner doesn't delete files but entries in a database called the Registry.

I would just restore the files and registry and leave alone. Not sure why you are deleting files when running a registry cleaner.

dave_and_confused 12:09 01 Sep 2005

Ah if you mean you are ticking the entries that point to the files then is there an option to Select All? Then you can unselect the 4 entries you don't want removed.

ruskle 12:19 01 Sep 2005

Thanks Dave and confused, Your second post was the correct understanding.. Am I thick or not? It's obvious now you suggest it. I can't understand why the cleaner suggests the files are invalid, it's only the Norton A/V which suffers. been playing since 1983 but am now a bit of a silver server, well the bits that are left are silver..

Thanks again.

dave_and_confused 12:33 01 Sep 2005

Not at all.

I'm not sure i would be happy with that Registry Cleaner if it removes links to "live" files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?