WIN 98se/WIN XP dual boot problem

wotan 16:33 03 Mar 2003

I have installed my Maxtor 20g HDD, running WIN98se,as primary drive, with a Seagate 80G HDD running WIN XP home as a slave,however I cannot get the system to boot up the slave, and only get WIN 98se booting. I have checked the jumper settings on both drives,(the Seagate shows 'slave' setting is with no jumper in place).I have set BIOS to auto detect the drives, and it shows both drives. The boot up procedure is standard WIN 98 setup but shows primary drive and slave drive correctly but the system then goes into auto detect mode for new hardware and attempts to load hardware for WIN XP applications onto WIN 98 disk causing the system to go into safe mode. I have tried running both disks independantly as masters and both systems boot up and perform properly, however as soon as I revert the Seagate to slave status the system refuses to boot it up.Can anyone offer a suggestion or two as to the nature of the problem?
I am running an AMD 2000+ processor with 512mb memory, (I have checked all connecting cables for proper seating and as I said the jumper settings are correct for the drives).

MartinT-B 17:13 03 Mar 2003

You need a boot.ini file

Search and see if you have one.

If not you'll never boot to XP.

Did you tell the PC you were loading a 2nd O/S when you loaded the 2nd O/S?

There is a work around - you need to create a 'hidden' partition at the beginning of your C: drive which contains the boot file - but I am not 100% sure how to create one from scratch.

Sorry

musicman19 12:49 04 Mar 2003

Try this.
In Win98SE
Insert WinXP CD and select to new installation.
Select advanced and select choose partition/drive to install to.
Select your D: drive.
Eventually select repair existing XP installation.
This should set up the boot selection for you.
Best of luck I hope this helps.
BTW It is best leaving all drives as FAT32 so that 98 can access the XP partition as well as its own.

wotan 19:22 04 Mar 2003

Thanks for the advice people, it is greatly appreciated, especially as I have just found out my Iomega zip drive is not supported by WINxp, nor the Adaptec programs provided with it. I have checked the Iomega site and they have no updates available so I will have to run it from WIN 98se or bin it. Thanks again,
Wotan

wotan 19:22 04 Mar 2003

Thanks for the advice people, it is greatly appreciated, especially as I have just found out my Iomega zip drive is not supported by WINxp, nor the Adaptec programs provided with it. I have checked the Iomega site and they have no updates available so I will have to run it from WIN 98se or bin it. Thanks again,
Wotan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone