win 98se wireless configuration

pj1664 22:06 30 Jan 2008

Hi guys I am trying to configure my laptop to connect wireless with win 98se, i have run winsox to enable wireless fiture and in the network configuration under protocol I have add Net buie Tcip and Ipx but I stil cnat get wireless any idea why?

mgmcc 22:18 30 Jan 2008

<<< in the network configuration under protocol I have add Net buie Tcip and Ipx but I stil cnat get wireless any idea why? >>>

NetBEUI and IPX/SPX are *not* internet-compatible protocols, they are only used for local networking, so you can effectively forget about them. It is TCP/IP protocol that you must have installed for the Wireless Network Adapter. In Windows 98SE, there are separate TCP/IP entries for each network adapter.

After installing the Wireless Adapter and the software provided with it, you need to run the software to scan for "Available Wireless Networks", find the one whose SSID (network name) matches that of your router and "Connect" to it.

woodchip 22:42 30 Jan 2008

If you are using a Modem DSL router. You get the settings from that and set it up in Router then write down SSID and Encryption key. these need to go into you computer wireless settings software to connect. Not faffing about with the settings you are doing

pj1664 18:43 31 Jan 2008

Ok Thanks guys, I managed to get my wireless to full strength but internet explorer still wont connect it says dns server not found but my settings were automatically dectect my setting. I have a WEP encription which is correct because my wireless csrd is on full strength. I have been on internet connection under tools and connection tab tick detect my setting automatically, yet I still cant connect. What did I miss?

woodchip 11:44 01 Feb 2008

If you have a Firewall try with it turned off

pj1664 14:10 01 Feb 2008

Hi woodchip, win 98se dont come with any firewall and I havent installed any.Does win 98se need zero configuration as with xp?

woodchip 15:16 01 Feb 2008

No, how did you set the router up to connect to your ISP ?

pj1664 16:15 01 Feb 2008

Ok My router has been setup for over a year now with my xp so I assume the setting works with xp it should work with 98se I haave all the relevent DNS address in the router page with the WEP key which I punch in on the LAN card configuration and the signal is showing excellent, it seems like the connection between the LAN card and router is established but IE is not connecting. I went into the TOOLS menu of IE and went to options and connections and then on to setup to configure my IE connection and tick connecting throught local LAN and tick finish. still nothing. What else can I do or have I missed anyrhing along the lines

pj1664 16:15 01 Feb 2008

Ok My router has been setup for over a year now with my xp so I assume the setting works with xp it should work with 98se I haave all the relevent DNS address in the router page with the WEP key which I punch in on the LAN card configuration and the signal is showing excellent, it seems like the connection between the LAN card and router is established but IE is not connecting. I went into the TOOLS menu of IE and went to options and connections and then on to setup to configure my IE connection and tick connecting throught local LAN and tick finish. still nothing. What else can I do or have I missed anyrhing along the lines

mgmcc 08:28 02 Feb 2008

<<<< I managed to get my wireless to full strength but internet explorer still wont connect it says dns server not found but my settings were automatically dectect my setting >>>>

Having a strong wireless signal doesn't necessarily mean that you've "Connected" (as in "logged in") to the wireless network.

What addresses (IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers) does the wireless adapter in Win98SE have? To check this:

Open a Command Prompt window - "Start > Run", type COMMAND (CMD in XP) and click OK - then, at the prompt, type...

IPCONFIG /ALL

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters installed in the PC.

dave#01 14:58 02 Feb 2008

if you are able to find the a little wireless icon on the start bar right click on it and it may say repair see if this makes any difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?