WIN 98se V's WIN XP

wotan 14:48 17 Feb 2003

I have at last gathered the courage (and the cash) to upgrade my system, both hardware and operating system. I still have one or two reservations though.
My main use for my system is in re-building old photographs, a task that requires quite a lot of memory as well as a printer and scanner. I have been told that some older printer/scanner drives are not recognised by XP, especially those using parallel or serial port connections, is this true? If so is there any way around this problem without having to buy a new printer and scanner.
I also have a query about running dual operating systems, as I have been told it is possible to run WIN 98se and WIN XP on the same computer, simply by putting my old 20Gig hard drive into the new system as a slave, and tweaking the bios, thus enabling me to continue to use the older printer and scanner. This would appear to answer the original query, but seems to be a simple solution, so what might go wrong?

Rayuk 17:20 17 Feb 2003

Go to the manufacturers website for your printer and scanner if they have drivers for WinXP you will be ok.
Do a search for dual OS plenty of previous threads covering this.

woodchip 17:41 17 Feb 2003

You need partition magic to partition your hard drive it's the easy way to go. For dual boot you need Win 98 on the comp first on C:\ drive then load XP to drive D:\

AubreyS 17:42 17 Feb 2003

I have a dual-boot system (ME & XP) I have XP in a removable caddy and simply push that drive in if I want it to boot up from XP. It seems to work ok for me.

bruno 18:19 17 Feb 2003

I have dual booted Win98se and Win XP pro by just the same method you describe,using an older 20g hard drive as drive D.I simply inserted the xp disc and followed the instructions to instal on D.No problems were encountered and when I added my scanner etc.I downloaded the up to date drivers from the makers website.I only needed three.I suppose it depends how old your stuff is.No doubt if you looked it up first you could save youself some grief,but they would still work on 98,so you will be ok.

wotan 19:11 17 Feb 2003

Thanks everyone for the help, greatly appreciated, I will give it a shot and if I have any problems I will come back. Thanks again, Wotan

Irishman 19:35 17 Feb 2003

click here

A lot of printers/scanners will work with XP using drivers developed for other makes. Have a look through this site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?