Win 98se problems

Mavisk 12:24 07 Jan 2006

I've set up a network between too PC's,one is XP which is hard wired to a linksys wag 345g router.
The other is Win 98se with a pci network card installed.
Everything is set up ,and both pc's can access the internet.But sometimes the XP pc doesn't show up in network neighborhood,and I lose the ability to use my XP printer from the Win 98 machine.
The XP machine is fine and see's the other PC ok.
Eveything is set up to be shared etc.
After searching on the net it seems that both machines should be using the same settings.
I've noticed that my XP machine has "client for microsoft networks" in its settings while the 98 machine has "Microsoft family log on" selected.
Could this be the problem, and Should this be changed to be the same as the XP machine.
If I do try changing it, when I restart the PC it asks for a password,how do I set this up creating a password.I read that for "network neighbourhood" to work correctly,you have to set it up to log on to the network, how?. I'm new to this, so I hope you understand my problem.
Thanks for any help.

recap 12:44 07 Jan 2006

One of the easiest ways these day for setting up a network is to use the XP Networking wizard. This will guide you through the network process. I have used it on a number of occassions and have had a network up and running within 20 - 25 minutes.

Mavisk 12:59 07 Jan 2006

Thats exactly how I did set it up, but I still have this problem, which only started a few days after the network was installed, at first everything was ok.

Mavisk 18:37 11 Jan 2006

Both computers are now unable to see each other ,yet both can connect to the internet.
File sharing etc is enabled,everything was working fine,then suddenly stopped,I havn't changed anything,I've tried disabling firewalls etc.
Any ideas?

mgmcc 20:13 11 Jan 2006

You definitely should have the "Client for Microsoft Networks" installed in the Windows 98 PC, as well as in XP.

Mavisk 17:55 12 Jan 2006

I've now set the Win 98 PC to "Client for Microsoft Networks",and I now log on with a password.
Both PC's can see each other and share files at present, so fingers crossed its sorted, thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?