Win 98 XP 2 seperate Drives

User-402BA281-1CFE-4FE3-9D45502C58B38958 06:35 23 Mar 2004

How do i get the boot screen to ask me which disk drive i wish to load first i.e. disk 1 has win 98 & disk 2 has XP is there a way i can get the system to ask which drive to load like the F8 options screen, is it possible to use the bios to do this

Diodorus Siculus 08:12 23 Mar 2004

It will all depend on how WinXP got onto the second disk; did you install it after Win98 was on the first one, or was it installed on a different machine?

An option may be to use a boot manager, but if you post the details of how the machine was set up, someone may have an answer.

temp003 08:17 23 Mar 2004

Is this correct - each OS was installed independently: i.e., each hard disk is bootable on its own and has its own boot files for its own OS?

Now you want a boot menu to choose which disk to boot up the computer with?

The tedious way is to go into BIOS to change which hard disk (master or slave, or hdd0, hdd1) to boot from, each time.

Another way is to use a boot manager. You can try OSL2000 from click here (it's free). Download the file. Unzip, read the README file first.

Double click the setup.exe file to install OSL2000 (from either OS). If you get the chance to prepare an uninstall disk, do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?