Win 98 won't install HELP! HELP!

rickf 11:05 17 Feb 2004

Hi All,
Helping a friend with an old comp. Specs integrated m/b with sis chipset 565 and 200pr Cyrix CPU,64mb memory,onboard graphics,4g h/d. I partitioned and formatted the h/d and evrything went find. It freezes however, when it is copying files from win98disc stage. I have tried this about 7 times with the same result each time. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

rickf 11:21 17 Feb 2004

bump

rickf 11:24 17 Feb 2004

C'mon people. I need some suggestions here.

Megatyte 11:31 17 Feb 2004

Is the 98 CD OK? To check it make a new folder on another PC and copy all of the files from the CD into this folder. If the process hangs or returns an error then the CD is faulty/dirty.

AH

rickf 11:33 17 Feb 2004

will try that megabyte. i was thinking of that as a last resort.

JIM 11:34 17 Feb 2004

are you,at the A:\> prompt tried typing the following?---“ D:SETUP “ (without the quotes, where D: is the letter of the drive containing the Windows CD) and press the ENTER key.

Quiller. 11:39 17 Feb 2004

Hi

Nothing wrong with the specs. This should take 98 no bother.

How far does it get before it sticks? Is it searching for a file and comes up with a box " file not found" and then the ignore - cancel or retry box? Or is it just freezing with nothing happening at all?

First thing would be to inspect the disk. Make sure it is clean, any bad scratches on it?

The fact that you have gone through the partitioning and windows has check the hard drive, through scandisk. May point to a damaged disk.

rickf 12:02 17 Feb 2004

wins does the usual of checking that the sectors are ok. It freezes at the point when it is trying to copy 98 onto h/d. No message, just freezes. I had of course typed d then setup before installing 98 where d is my cdrom. The disc looks ok to the naked eye.

rickf 12:18 17 Feb 2004

will try agin this afternoon and post back. Thanks so far.

Rocket Rod 13:30 17 Feb 2004

Tried using the win98se startup floppy and booting from there?

Diemmess 13:45 17 Feb 2004

Had trouble recently with an "abused" laptop. In the end it proved to be the CDROM which was failing. It simply ceased reading at random moments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?