Win 98 User Profile

Windsoar 00:18 28 Dec 2004

Our computer crashed today - and when I rebooted (and scandisked) it wouldn't recognise a mouse. I tried a few things that didn't work, then used a programme called "rescue me" to revert to last week's configuration settings. This solved the mouse problem but created another. We use the user profiles in win98 to enable each member of the family to have different desktop settings, ms outlook accounts etc. Whilst my name appears on the log on screen and it accpets my usual password, the computer no longer recognises any of my settings, so I haven't got an ISP or an outlook account or anything else like that, my favorites have disappeared. I can see them in explorer (C:\windows\profiles\peter\etc.) but I can't access them. Can anybody suggest how I can retrieve them? The settigns I am getting are the default settings for a new user (the settings I woudl get if I pressed escape instead of selecting a user and logging on). The "start menu" offers the option of "log off Peter" so it thinks I am logged on. I've tried copying the profile but all I've succeeded in doing is copying the default, not me. I've had to log on as my daughter in order to acces the internet and send this plea for help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?