Win 98 SE Image / backup /ATI

john bunyan 18:44 19 Feb 2009

I have desktop with XP Pro, but my old laptop (IBM R30 Thinkpad)still on W98SE (A bit too elderly for an update to XP) - ok but recently had problems with video drivers corrupted. I have Acronis True Image 11 on my Desktop and regularly create images. The ATI install says it supports: MS Vista, XP Pro x64, XP SP2 (I have SP3 but no probs) and Windows 2000 Pro SP4. No mention of Win 98 SE. I was hoping to install ATI 11 on the laptop and create an image of the drive on an external HD. Anyone tried ATI 11 on win 98SE? Any other suggestions to create an image of my laptop with another programme? (Or another way to solve the backup problem)My Win 98E knowledge is a bit rusty, like me.

mgmcc 20:19 19 Feb 2009

If you create "Recovery Media" with Acronis in your XP PC (i.e. a bootable CD with the Acronis True Image program on), there is no reason why you shouldn't boot your Laptop with the CD, run Acronis from the CD and backup your Laptop to an external drive.

john bunyan 20:35 19 Feb 2009

Thanks - I will try that soon.

woodchip 21:57 19 Feb 2009

To create a Image for the Laptop, Start the Laptop with Acronis CD in the Drive and let it load. You also need a External USB Drive To backup to, if there is only one partition on the Laptop drive or D:\ is too small

Just Create a Image when choosing Backup

john bunyan 23:39 19 Feb 2009

Thanks. Just trying to find drivers for the laptop to recognise my external HDD.

DieSse 00:09 20 Feb 2009

The User Guide for TI 11 does not include Win98SE as a supported OS.

As TI uses features of the OS to perform it's functions, it would be very unwise to try and run it - and even unwise to rely on an image it may produce. Of course it may even just refuse to install or run.

Older versions may work OK of course.

mgmcc 07:49 20 Feb 2009

>>> Just trying to find drivers for the laptop to
>>> recognise my external HDD.

When booting from an Acronis CD, it will have built-in support for USB 2.0 connectivity.

mgmcc 08:08 20 Feb 2009

>>> Of course it may even just refuse to install or run.

Running it from a CD means that installing it isn't an issue, but I've just tried running version 11 from the CD in a Win 98SE Laptop. The error it generated was "CPU too old for this kernel". It may be a non-starter after all. :(

john bunyan 08:56 20 Feb 2009

My laptop has USB 1 only. In view of above, and I only have ATI 11, any other suggestions for making an image of my W98SE?

DieSse 09:09 20 Feb 2009

You could just make a copy, with free xxcopy for instance. It won't be compressed, but it will be an exact copy.

Win 9x does not requite special measures for cloning a system disk, unlike later NT based versions do.

Some might say just use the inbuilt windows xcopy - but it has a fatal flaw (admitted to by MS) - which can make it go wrong on some folder structures.

Shuffty 09:55 20 Feb 2009

john bunyan

Try to get a copy of norton ghost version 6.0,that is what I use for win 98se you can split the backup on to cds

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?