Win 98 SE

Daveym 23:30 10 Nov 2003

A friend of mine has a pc with WIN 98 SE on it and her kids have screwed it up by deleting or downloading some files. It wont shutdown and keeps locking up programms and doin all sorts of weird things. I once heard that you can type a command line in the "run" programme that will restore things to the origional setup and replace drivers and files etc. Is this so and what would it be?? Any help would be appreciated to save me doin a format. It is a self build pc so no re-boot floppies are available.

Thanks Dave M

woodchip 23:36 10 Nov 2003

Start with the Win98 floppy disc you can create one if they have the Win98 disc by going to add remove in control panel. then start the comp with the disc, and type scanreg/restore hit enter it should look like this in DOS

A:\>scanreg/restore then choose the oldest date. If thet does not do it.

Go to start/run type SFC and run with the win98 disc in, you can go to the settings button and click look for deleted files also

Diodorus Siculus 23:37 10 Nov 2003

It is possibly

sfc /scannow

which runs the system file configuration utility at the present moment...

It will need the Win98 CD ROM I think.

Diodorus Siculus 23:38 10 Nov 2003

It is not guaranteed to work, though... a reinstall over the current setup may work.

Diodorus Siculus 23:39 10 Nov 2003

And try what woodchip has just suggested.

Daveym 23:39 10 Nov 2003

It was the SFC I had heard about and couldn't remember. Thanks. I will try it tomorrow and let you know.

Dave M

woodchip 23:40 10 Nov 2003

sfc /scannow does not work in 98

Diodorus Siculus 23:44 10 Nov 2003

woodchip - ok. Maybe not on standard but I am not sure what changes I had to make to Win98 to get that command run for me - I found the parameters somewhere or other.

woodchip 23:49 10 Nov 2003

You just run from the run box by typing SFC

I think the sfc /scannow works with XP

Diodorus Siculus 23:51 10 Nov 2003

woodchip - yes, I realise that sfc runs as you suggest, but it is also possible to get it to run with various switches. As I am not not on 98 at present, I cannot remembemer which ones.

flecc 00:23 11 Nov 2003

You can just boot to the menu by holding down Ctrl, select Command Prompt only and type:-

scanreg /restore

and press Enter. Make sure you include the space between scanreg and the forward stroke. You'll then see five earlier Windows versions by date to restore from. Make your choice using the cursor keys (those marked Started are ready for use), press Enter and follow the on screen instructions to restore the registry to that version. Then restart to return to the desktop.

You can safely do a practice run of the above without changing anything so that you're familiar with the procedure. Just follow the instructions right up to, and including, choosing a registry version to restore from.
Then below the choices screen you will see two "buttons", one marked Restore, one marked Cancel. Use the Cursor (Arrow) keys to highlight Cancel, then press Enter and restart to Windows.

You can also run the System File Checker from the desktop by clicking Start, Run, and typing SFC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?