Win 98 problems

JoJoh 10:46 17 Jan 2005

Hi - I have this weekend had a problem with my Win 98 programme. Somehow, a malaware programme or virus hijacked my computer even though I had Norton Antivirus loaded.

I have run adaware and other programmes including reg cleaners and think that I have managed to eradicate the problem. I have also run SFC and found no problems. However, now I cannot re-load Norton Anti-virus. I have been onto the Symantec website and done all they have said but still it will not load properly. It does load but will not open. I have installed and uninstalled at least 20 times this weekend.

Does anybody have any idea what I can do as I don't really want to reload windows and don't know if this will even fix the problem. Is therte such a programme as win98 fix that can solve such problems?

Graham ® 10:55 17 Jan 2005

Scan with A-Squared:

click here

JoJoh 12:13 17 Jan 2005

Thanks Graham
However, as I explained I have already run this type of programme to get rid of the these. I believe that I now need a Win 98 SE correction type programme as I can't load programmes.

Diodorus Siculus 12:18 17 Jan 2005

Well try a win98 install over the current install. You should not lose any data but be sure to have a backup before going ahead.

mattyc_92 14:47 17 Jan 2005

as Diodorus Siculus said.. Just re-install windows over the current one!!!

****NOTE: You SHOULDN'T lose ANY data, but to be on the safe side, I would advise coping the data onto another storage device (as Diodorus Siculus said in his/her post!!!)*******

JoJoh 17:32 17 Jan 2005

Thanks all. I really wanted to avoid re-installing windows as it will take up more space on my hard disk. Is there no other way of checking windows for errors?

VoG II 17:37 17 Jan 2005

If you do an "over the top" installation it will just replace current Windows files with fresh copies. It won't take up any more disk space.

JoJoh 17:43 17 Jan 2005

How do I do an "over the top" installation? Normally I would just load the disk and and then load windows.

Pidder 18:29 17 Jan 2005

VoG™ knows better than me, but wouldn't SFC be an easier alternative, presuming you have the installation C.D.?

Diodorus Siculus 18:37 17 Jan 2005

"I have also run SFC and found no problems."

Pidder - in the first posting! :-)

mosfet 18:37 17 Jan 2005

Boot from cd rom first.At menu choose "start with cd suport".Not "from hdd"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?