Win 98 help missing

kerses 16:57 10 Aug 2003

Lost my help files somehow, despite reinstalling OS. HH.EXE still shows in C:\Windows\Options\CABs\hh.exe but clicking it produces nothing.
Any bright ideas please?
kerses

Eastender 22:55 10 Aug 2003

Have you been using EasyCleaner?

Although there are fixes for XP and Me, I see none for 98 click here

Stuartli 23:24 10 Aug 2003

Should be Help folder in Windows containing all the various Help files.....

kerses 16:18 11 Aug 2003

Many thanks to you Eastender (a useful site anyway by the look of it), and Stuartli. There is a Help folder ok in Windows and lots of files in it, but selecting Help from the Start button just gives the report I quoted. Guess I'm stuck with it unless anyone else can come up with an idea. Thanks for trying anyway
kerses

Stuartli 18:30 11 Aug 2003

Have you tried using the Help file's .exe line as a DeskTop short cut - at least you will be able to open the file.

kerses 15:29 12 Aug 2003

Thanks again Stuartli. The Windows help folder only has two .EXE files, the HH one which does nothing at the moment, and SNMP which I understand from Peter Norton's book "Complete Guide to Windows 98" is concerned with networks only. Most of the files in the folder are of type .CHM
Will leave this one open just in case, but I can't see what else I can do at present.
kerses

Valvegrid 16:02 12 Aug 2003

This workaround will allow you to view the files in the help folder using the Winhlp32.exe, a window opens and you select the file you want to read.

click here

Paul.

Valvegrid 16:28 12 Aug 2003

Just a matter of interest I have also gone to C:\Windows\Options\CABs\hh.exe and double clicked on it and nothing happens. Although you haven't said if you're getting an error this may also have a bearing:

http:// support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q259449

Cut and paste the URL and remove the space between the http://

Paul.

Fogey 21:26 14 Aug 2003

Do a search on MS Knowledge Base for article 252612.
"Windows help does not open from start Menu."
It may help you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?