Win 98 drivers.

curlylad 19:46 12 Oct 2005

A friend has just been given his first PC , an unwanted or no longer used machine from an office.It is currently running Windows 98SE , it has 256mb ram , 20gb hd , cd writer etc etc.He knows nothing about computers so asked me to have a quick look at it for him.I removed several old programs off it that were previously used by the original owner , done a scan disk , scanreg /restore , defrag , all the usual stuff and am now left with a machine that has the firewall and AV and I'll get the other security measures up and running shortly.

The advise I need is regarding all the yellow excaimation marks and/or question marks in device manager.I need to know what is the easiest way other than trial and error of finding which drivers I need for these.I have already tried to reinstall them from the cd-rom disc he has and this solved a few but these are what are left:-

1)1394 Bus Controller 2)Memory Technology Drivers PCI System Management Bus 3)PCI Ethernet Controller 4) PCI Multimedia Audio Device 5)PCI Multimedia Audio Device 6) PCI Universal Serial Bus.

It is mainly the lack of sound that is the first priority as all else appears to be running OK.If anyone can throw some light on this I will be most grateful.

MAJ 19:56 12 Oct 2005

You would need to find out which motherboard it has, also the manufacturer and model of some of those devices. To that end download and install Everest Home Edition and run it, it should give you that info. click here

woodchip 20:50 12 Oct 2005

Yes as Maj, They are all what you will find on a Motherboard CD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?