win 98-2 will not load with new graphic card

MAZDAMAN 14:35 17 Aug 2003

My m/board is an asus a7n8x deluxe which i have just fitted along with a gigabyte 9700pro graphics card. I have a dual boot system of xp & 98-2.The xp system is fine and loaded the graphic drivers o.k.but the 98 would not have it,it kept saying (sur reg create key failed,load standard v.g.a.drivers first)I tried to do this and win98 said drivers loaded but on trying to load graphic drivers again back to square 1(ie sur reg create key blah blah blah) Tearing my hair out by this time because i tried to do this for 2 hrs i decided to do a new install of win98 but on starting setup it got as far as p.c.i bus scan and then it stopped with just the blinking dot flashing .The 98 setup disk is fine because i tried a fresh install using the old graphic card with no problems. Can anybody help please

SEASHANTY 17:19 17 Aug 2003

You haven't mentioned it but before you install a new graphics card you have to completely uninstall
(i.e. remove) the previous graphics card drivers BEFORE insertion and installing the new graphics card - otherwise the new card will not work.

MAZDAMAN 18:40 18 Aug 2003

hi seashanty ,yes i did uninstall the old drivers first but what i cannot understand is why win98-2 will now not load onto a formatted hard drive

xania 09:16 19 Aug 2003

I suspect that your windows installation is coming unstuck BECAUSE it still sees the graphics card as a problem. Load up XP and reset your monitor to it's basic settings (640X480 & 16 colours) then reboot and retry your SE installation.

No guarantees, but its worth a try.

Bodi 09:32 19 Aug 2003

I had problems with this particular motherboard when installing/running Windows 98SE and ended up having to install Windows XP Home Edition.

Like you, I will have to have a dual boot with XP/98SE because my scanner will not work with XP.

I don't know whether this will help, but when installing Win 98SE originally, it appeared to stop installing and I switched the machine off and then on again. Eventually, I found that if I left the installation for about 10 mins it continued on its own, albeit rather slowly.

Bodi

MAZDAMAN 21:19 20 Aug 2003

Hi xania & bodi thanks for the tips ,going to log off now and try them -fingers crossed will tell you if succesful -----mazdaman

MAZDAMAN 19:04 21 Aug 2003

Bad news i,m afraid tried both tips =nothing. left win98-2trying to install for over an hour no movement at all.Any more ideas.

Bodi 19:53 21 Aug 2003

is that you don't have the option of disabling the plug & play O/S like other boards, I found this infuriating.

Can only think of two suggestions which MIGHT help. I am presuming the dual boot system is from two partions on same disk?

1) Are you booting and installing directly via CD-ROM drive or from a boot disk? Try both.

2) Have you tried restarting and continuing the installation where it left off - or does it start straight from scratch?

Meanwhile I will rack my brains for some inspiration - sorry I'm not much help at present.

Bodi

Bodi 19:56 21 Aug 2003

See if there is anything in this thread that might be of assistance to you.......

click here

Just might be something.

Bodi

minter 20:05 21 Aug 2003

A thought - you have not formatted your HD to NTFS for XP.

Bodi 20:09 21 Aug 2003

Good thinking.

Bodi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?