win 95 bypassing start up files

.d 16:03 29 Oct 2003

my old win 95 is bypassing start up files & going directly to command prompt i dont know what to do next,i have no rescue or back up discs help me please

VoG II 16:06 29 Oct 2003

At the command prompt, enter

win

this should at least get you into Windows so you can find what's wrong.

alcudia 16:09 29 Oct 2003

There could be a missing line in autoexec.bat which tells the PC to run Windows, but I cannot remember the correct wording now. It's probably just "win"

.d 16:11 29 Oct 2003

tried that bad command or file name

alcudia 16:20 29 Oct 2003

Was that typing win at the command prompt, or editing autoexec.bat

alcudia 16:23 29 Oct 2003

Memory's a bit vague now, but I think that from the C prompt you can type

edit autoexec.bat

The file will load and you can add the missing line if necessary.

.d 16:33 29 Oct 2003

plese help me

.d 16:38 29 Oct 2003

ok a bit slow there autoexec got me onto a blue screen what do i do next?

woodchip 16:41 29 Oct 2003

If you have a Win95 CD. Go click here and download a Win98 Startup disc as it as more CD drivers on it. Put a blank floppy disc in comp and double click the download to create the startup disc, then star comp with disc, have your Win95 CD in comp. Choose start with CD-ROM support, then at A:\> if your CD-ROM drive letter was D:\ it will be E:\ it moves up one temporary so Type E:\Setup and press enter to load windows over it's self. This will not harm you programs etc

.d 16:45 29 Oct 2003

i have no discs at all for win 95

alcudia 16:49 29 Oct 2003

From what he says I don't think .d has any discs to install from. There is no reason why the advice given by VoG should not have worked. I cannot remember now, but I'm sure the command to run Windows was built into Win95, and not part of autoexec as it was in 3.1. The advice I have been giving was a bit of long shot. The only other option I can think of is to change to a few directories (eg cd windows) and do a DIR to see if anything's there.

.d

I assume the blue screen is the autoexec file. What does it say please, and do any lines have rem at the beginning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?