win 95

music 21:41 12 Jul 2005

hi all.
i was asked if i would have a look at a neighbours computer for them and see if i could get it working for them, when it arrived it was a compac deskpro 575,after my smirk left my face i told them i would see what i could do with it.i tryed to run it up and got the error message 205-memory error. i have tryed to reload win 95 after formating it and all seemed to be going well until it rebooted. it was searching for plug in and play device's it loaded more from the win 95 disc then it just shut's down.when it reboots it does a ram check then nothing more. can anyone please help? it has 40meg of ram and a 1 gig hard disc.thanks for any help in advance.

woodchip 21:51 12 Jul 2005

Check the CPU fan all symptoms of overheating if error messages change. Try the Install with computer side of and point a desk fan at mobo

music 22:51 12 Jul 2005

ok thanks. i will give it a try

SANTOS7 23:06 12 Jul 2005

205-memory error suggests this click here

music 18:12 14 Jul 2005

thankyou for the link.
but it only has 40meg of ran and the error messages do not seem to fit, but thanks anyway.
i think i may just give up on this one.

music 08:12 15 Jul 2005

i have printed a copy of the error messages off,and i'm now working through the list. but i'm unsure what run start up means? i have tryed to re load windows but now when it gets to the scearch for plug and play devices it hangs up, so i am removing all sound cards and other things to see if one of these has gone down. once again thankyou very much

Graham ® 08:21 15 Jul 2005

When the PC is booting you will see a message at the bottom saying 'Press F1 to enter setup'. The key will vary. This will take you to the BIOS.

music 18:59 15 Jul 2005

thanks, i now know what you mean.
this thing on boot up just stops after the error message comes on screen, and in the bottom corner it say's f1 to boot.
so i will find out which button takes me in to the bios. thanks very much

woodchip 19:03 15 Jul 2005
  woodchip 19:11 15 Jul 2005

In BIOS try turning Second level Cach off

music 22:25 16 Jul 2005

thankyou all.
you have given me a lot to get on with i will let you know how i get on thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017