Win 7 stopped working properly.

bumpkin 18:27 11 Oct 2013
Answered

Hi all, I am having endless problems with win7 that was working OK a few days ago. Firstly is became so slow that it was ridiculous but still worked. Now it will boot but sometimes stops at the welcome screen saying please wait.

If I do get to the win7 screen nothing will work when I click on it just the blue circle appears going round but never gets anywhere, sometimes if I move the cursor to the start orb then that is the end nothing happens and can't even move it anymore..

I have tried everything I can think of, system restore which failed a few times but I managed to get it back to an early time which still did not work nor can I undo it now, I can get into safe mode, tried last known good fig but no joy, tried reseating the mem cards. When I could get to task manager CPU was showing 100% all the time but that may be misleading.

I have a Paragon backup on external HDD but can't access it.

I am using the same PC now to post this but using XP on another drive, can anyone help please as I can't think of anything else other than factory restore which I really don't wan't to have to do.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:45 11 Oct 2013

First do a Start up Repair

How you access the repair options will depend upon whether you have a Windows installation disk or whether your operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.

Pre-Installed

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding as another key may be needed to access the Repair/recovery options.

1. Start your PC

2. If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3. If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Windows operating system and Press the F8 key

4. An Advanced Tools menu options screen will now appear

5. Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6. Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7. Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8. The recovery options should now appear

Windows Installation Disk

NOTE

Make sure your PC is set to boot directly from the Windows DVD, most modern PCs are set this way. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

1. Start the PC

2. Immediately insert the Windows DVD into the DVD drive

3. A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD', Press Any key to start the booting process

4. The 'Windows is loading files' screen will now appear with a progress bar.

5. After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

6. You will next see a Blue curtained screen

7. Next the Language option screen will appear Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

8. At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

9. The System recovery options will now search for your Windows installation

10. Once the Windows installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

11. The set of recovery options now appears, Click on the Option you require and follow the on screen prompts

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:46 11 Oct 2013

And if windows starts but still gives problems do a Repair Install Windows 7

1 Start the Windows 7 and log on to administrator account 2 Disable the 3rd party antivirus, firewall or any such security program. These may interfere with the repair upgrade installation of Windows 7. 3 Load the Windows 7 installation DVD into the DVD drive. Now click on the Run Setup.exe option in the Autoplay window from within the currently installed Windows 7. 4 Next click on the Install Now button to start the installation 5 Uncheck the I want to help make Windows installation better box. Following this click on the Go online to get the latest updates for installation option. 6 Windows 7 will search online to install any available installation updates. 7 Look for the I accept the license terms box and check it. Then click on Next. 8 Click on the Upgrade option, installation of Windows 7 will begin. 9 After the final restart a blank screen appears 10 Type in your Windows 7 product key number 11 Uncheck the "Automatically activate Windows" when I'm online box at the bottom, then click on the Next button. 12 Click on the Use recommended settings. 13 Choose your Time Zone. Set the time and date setting and click on the Next button. 14 Click on the option for your computer's location to select the correct network location type setting that has to be applied for the location. 16 Now Windows 7 prepares your desktop to startup 17 It's not over yet. Now, ensure that you are not missing any user files. In case some users files are missing copy them from the hidden protected operating system - C:\$INPLACE.~TR and C:\WINDOWS.~Q folders. 18 Run the Disk Cleanup. For this click on the Clean up system file button. After this check the Files discarded by Windows upgrade box. 19 Refresh the Windows Experience Index (WEI) score. 20 Activate the Windows 7

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:48 11 Oct 2013

Repair Install Windows 7

1. Start the Windows 7 and log on to administrator account
  2. Disable the 3rd party antivirus, firewall or any such security program. These may interfere with the repair upgrade installation of Windows 7.
  3. Load the Windows 7 installation DVD into the DVD drive. Now click on the Run Setup.exe option in the Autoplay window from within the currently installed Windows 7.
  4. Next click on the Install Now button to start the installation
  5. Uncheck the I want to help make Windows installation better box. Following this click on the Go online to get the latest updates for installation option.
  6. Windows 7 will search online to install any available installation updates.
  7. Look for the I accept the license terms box and check it. Then click on Next.
  8. Click on the Upgrade option, installation of Windows 7 will begin.
  9. After the final restart a blank screen appears
  10. Type in your Windows 7 product key number
  11. Uncheck the "Automatically activate Windows" when I'm online box at the bottom, then click on the Next button.
  12. Click on the Use recommended settings.
  13. Choose your Time Zone. Set the time and date setting and click on the Next button.
  14. Click on the option for your computer's location to select the correct network location type setting that has to be applied for the location.
  15. Now Windows 7 prepares your desktop to startup
  16. It's not over yet. Now, ensure that you are not missing any user files. In case some users files are missing copy them from the hidden protected operating system - C:\$INPLACE.~TR and C:\WINDOWS.~Q folders.
  17. Run the Disk Cleanup. For this click on the Clean up system file button. After this check the Files discarded by Windows upgrade box.
  18. Refresh the Windows Experience Index (WEI) score.
  19. Activate the Windows 7
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:50 11 Oct 2013

That's better I can read it now - sometimes the formatting on this site just doesn't work right.

bumpkin 18:51 11 Oct 2013

Thanks FruitBat, I have tried your first suggestion earlier but no luck. I will print out your second post and try that.

bumpkin 19:02 11 Oct 2013

That is easier to follow thanks

bumpkin 19:07 11 Oct 2013

Logged into Win 7 but cant move the cursor off the start orb.

bumpkin 19:09 11 Oct 2013

Or do anything else other than switch off manually

Secret-Squirrel 19:15 11 Oct 2013

"When I could get to task manager CPU was showing 100% all the time............."

That's significant and a closer look may just reveal what's causing the problem:

If the CPU's constantly at 100% usage then click the "Processes" tab and then click the "Show processes from all users" button. Click the "CPU" column-heading button once or twice to sort the entries so that the busiest ones are at the top. If you see a process that's hogging all the CPU cycles then post back its name.

rdave13 19:16 11 Oct 2013

Do you have the Paragon rescue disc? Start the PC and insert the disc then shut down. Connect the external usb drive and then boot to the Paragon rescue disc. Does it now see the drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?