Win 7 installed on new drive but can't find drivers!

AroundAgain 15:45 21 Dec 2014

Hi again

I've fitted the new SSD drive, disconnected the old C drive, then installed Win 7. However, I'm now stuck because I can't find the drivers that I must have had when first got this computer.

Needless to say, being 'stuck' means no internet connection so I can't get very far without that, of course.

I've now got the 'old' C:drive running again, until I can progress with the installation. Is it possible to find the necessary drivers online and then save to USB drive/CD, to then install on 'new' main drive? Obviously, just a download which then, when instigated, needs the internet to install won't be helpful.

I can, most likely, get drivers sent to me tomorrow (Novatech BareBones machine and where I've got the new drive from) but I wondered if there was an option of doing this via my computer (with a different drive connected)

I hope that makes sense. Thanks very much

Jollyjohn 16:04 21 Dec 2014

Yes it should be easy enough to download the necessary drivers - the motherboard manufacturers website would be the place to start. Download all available onto a usb drive - unzip if needed. Swap drives and install drivers from usb stick.

rdave13 16:08 21 Dec 2014

You could also save your drivers to usb using doubledriver.

AroundAgain 17:33 21 Dec 2014

Thanks very much, guys I'll do that a bit later and will let you know how it goes, or most likely asking more questions! ;) Your help is much appreciated

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:25 22 Dec 2014

Be very careful downloading anything from cnet as the download packages will contain other programs you do not want and may slow / harm your machine.

Be sure to use the custom install and untick everything except the program you want.

AroundAgain 12:02 22 Dec 2014

Thanks very much for your advice, OliviaLewis.

Fruit Bat, yes, I agree re cnet. I avoid like the plague! ;)

I did manage to come across the disc re the M'Board so that was brilliant. I can't understand how I didn't see it when I looked through the documents related to this PC. However, I've downloaded DoubleDriver, as per RDave's recommendation, and have now got the drivers backed up.

At the moment, I'm downloading/installing the Windows Updates (all 205 of them!!!). Once that's finished, I'll be able to get programs installed and set up etc. That will be better once all that is completed. Then I'll be cloning the whole drive/system etc, ready for 'emergency' use or just a quicker re-format one day, should it be necessary.

Thanks for all your help, as always

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?