Win 7 home with ie11 and live mail 2011

PRUSSELL 22:30 20 May 2014
Answered

I have the above set up and the world symbol in live mail has a red cross by it and says off line. I can get email by clicking on the individual accounts. When I go into IE11 tools file there is no option to go on/off line

Secret-Squirrel 09:37 21 May 2014

Have you encountered that annoying WLM bug where despite clicking its "Work Online" button, the only way to get it back online is to use the equivalent option in IE? If you have then I see what you mean - the "Work online/offline" option has been removed from IE11.

If you can't find a fix of your own then a workaround that should work would be to go back to your previous version of IE by uninstalling IE11 via Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> View Installed Updates. Because it's a long list you can use the search box top-right to locate Internet Explorer 11 quickly. You can always go back to IE11 when the job's done.

Secret-Squirrel 13:37 21 May 2014

PRUSSELL, on second thoughts, if your problem's very recent then a Windows System Restore may be a lot less faff in getting WLM back online - have a look here if you're not familiar with it. Choose an available restore point that pre-dates the start of this problem.

Please note that my suggestions only apply if yours is the common problem where WLM is permanently stuck in offline mode and clicking the usual buttons and icons fails to get it online again.

rdave13 14:00 21 May 2014

In WLM on the ribbon select the dropdown arrow for Send/Receive, it should show you the list of your email accounts. Select "update all" in the list. As Jock1e says, the world icon with the red X means you're online.

Secret-Squirrel 14:17 21 May 2014

" As Jock1e says, the world icon with the red X means you're online."

I've been assuming that the OP's referring to the icon far-right of the Status Bar and not the button on the ribbon.

rdave13 14:29 21 May 2014

Secret-Squirrel , could well be, so worth checking the orb on the ribbon as well as the send/receive one.

PRUSSELL 23:38 22 May 2014

To all that have replied so far. I may have given the impression that I can not get Email at all hence the comment about the WLM bug. Let me try to clarify. In the bottom right hand side is a "Tool Bar" which says No new mail or how many new emails there are and an envelope symbol then working on or off line and a world symbol. If I click on the World symbol with the red X on the top "tool Bar" the bottom right changes to off line. clicking the top world symbol does nothing ie does not put it back on line. clicking on the envelope symbol bottom right opens another larger information box The following tasks were completed sucessfully and no information in the Tasks or Error tabs. If I click on send / recieve button on top toolbar a window opens showing the three individual accounts update all and all email accounts. I can only get the emails for each account by clicking on each individual account nothing happens when I click on update all and all email accounts. The F5 button on my laptop only appears to alter the screen brightness. I have recently had Dell reinstall the OS I think this came after that and could have happened when it was upgraded to IE11. Because I can get email and change the bottom right to online/offline I suspect I dont have the WLM bug. What does occour to me and may tell my age! is I can remember a setting that allows you to specify how often in minutes email would automatically down load - I cant find it now but if it exists suspect its set to never which would logically give me what I am getting

PRUSSELL 23:38 22 May 2014

To all that have replied so far. I may have given the impression that I can not get Email at all hence the comment about the WLM bug. Let me try to clarify. In the bottom right hand side is a "Tool Bar" which says No new mail or how many new emails there are and an envelope symbol then working on or off line and a world symbol. If I click on the World symbol with the red X on the top "tool Bar" the bottom right changes to off line. clicking the top world symbol does nothing ie does not put it back on line. clicking on the envelope symbol bottom right opens another larger information box The following tasks were completed sucessfully and no information in the Tasks or Error tabs. If I click on send / recieve button on top toolbar a window opens showing the three individual accounts update all and all email accounts. I can only get the emails for each account by clicking on each individual account nothing happens when I click on update all and all email accounts. The F5 button on my laptop only appears to alter the screen brightness. I have recently had Dell reinstall the OS I think this came after that and could have happened when it was upgraded to IE11. Because I can get email and change the bottom right to online/offline I suspect I dont have the WLM bug. What does occour to me and may tell my age! is I can remember a setting that allows you to specify how often in minutes email would automatically down load - I cant find it now but if it exists suspect its set to never which would logically give me what I am getting

rdave13 00:01 23 May 2014
  Secret-Squirrel 08:52 23 May 2014

Thanks for the updates. Please ignore my two previous suggestions as they won't help. I don't think your problem has anything to do with IE11 either.

"I can only get the emails for each account by clicking on each individual account nothing happens when I click on update all and all email accounts."

Try this:

In Windows Live Mail, click the little blue button top-left (to the left of the "Home" tab) -> Options -> Email Accounts. Select one account from the list then click the "Properties" button. Make sure that "Include this account when receiving mail or synchronising" is ticked. Do the same for all other mail accounts.

Let me know how you get on please.

PRUSSELL 13:33 23 May 2014
Answer

Secret-Squirrel - bingo! the boxes in properties were not ticked. I have now ticked them and email comes in automatically without me having to do anything. Many thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache