Win 7 activation problems

golfpro 09:24 27 May 2010

I recently bought a new laptop running Win 7 from Austria were I live, I changed the OS from the preinstaled German version to an English version which I had already installed over the vista OS and still using. I now keep getting reminders to activate I have tried typing in the product key from the back of the computer but get the message "this dose not seem to be a valid windows 7 product key". Would this only apply to the German version which is no longer there (although I did a back up before installing the English version). When I went into "my computer" and followed the activation process I got the message "Activation was successful" but it seems that is not the case as I only have 17 days left to do it. where do I go from here?

Fingees 10:45 27 May 2010

If you ring Microsoft, they will activate it for you if you explain what you have done.

They are usually very helpful

golfpro 10:54 27 May 2010

Where can I contact them, should I use the UK No, USA or the Austrian one if they have an office here. do you have the best tel No.

gengiscant 11:24 27 May 2010

I have just had to activate my Windows 7 PC again for reasons which escape me. My copy bought from Amazon has been installed and activated since November. It would not let me activate on line so I took the automated phone option which has worked.
I suggest you go that route and when it asks what country go for UK and see what happens.

golfpro 11:31 27 May 2010

I will try that, and get back.

golfpro 11:35 27 May 2010

Oh! dose it ask for the product key if so which one should I use the one from the Win 7 box or the one from the back of the computer?

golfpro 13:21 27 May 2010

I tried the telephone activation but it said that the copy I had was only for one computer. so I have had to order another from Amazon s**t. It should arrive in a few days, when Install it do I have to delete the version that is already in her now or will it install over that doing a clean install.
Also I have a copy of office 2007 installed can I back this up to install after.

rdave13 14:33 27 May 2010

You won't need to reinstall just use the key that comes with it. It should activate ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache