Win 3.1 app hogs CPU

Batch 13:00 30 Jan 2006

I have installed an old WIndows 3.1 application under XP Pro SP2.

All seems to work OK, but I noticed, in Task Manager, that the app (in the virtual DOS machine NTVDM) is reported as running at virtually 100% CPU and the CPU is running at 100%.

Other apps get a look in and I've not noticed any performance degradation on them.

The app itself is a French-English / English - French dictionary and, from a user perspective, not doing anything until I do a look-up or cross reference and even then should be very light. It's actually made up of two co-operating .EXEs (one translates one way and one the other). If only one of them is running, it hogs the CPU, if both running, they hog the CPU between them.

As I say, not causing any real problem, but I was wondering if this CPU hogging is characteristic of using the DOS virtual machine or is peculiar to my apps? BTW I don't have any other suitable apps (e.g. 3.1) to try for comparison.

uisquebeathus 13:45 30 Jan 2006

win 3.1 runs in dos (D isk O perating S ystem)it really is an intire operating system by its self not a software. It is going back to the early days when ram on pcs was 8mb or 16mb the Max was 64mb and that cost a fortune,hard drives were also in 300 mb or 600mb ( one of which cost me £300 at that time and considered an enormous spaceto have in a computer, cpus of that generation have moved into washing machines and fridges etc, the intructions in the cpu were totally differant from your present cpu and will only work right if you can right certain instuctions into the configuration files and get Xp to action them, which is almost imposible.
the best way to run it is in a dfferant partition on its own. ther are still some games and software on the net for win3.1 amazingly.

Batch 14:13 30 Jan 2006

Thanks for the input, but I know most of that - I was really just asking 'bout the CPU hogging.

BTW, I've been in IT for 35 years and got my first home PC 18 years ago - Dell 286 with 640k of memory and a 40Mb HDD. That cost £1899+VAT. I bought an extra 1Mb of memory which cost a stonking £450+VAT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?