Win 2K Pro recovery possible???

Ben Avery 00:02 03 Jul 2003

G'day

I've got aproblem here. I've come home to find out that my PC has been seriously mucked about with and now doesn't work. Here's what's been done:

User account for Ben Avery (me) has been disabled. The Administrator can't be logged on as the domain information or something is incorrect (think this is since trying to network my laptop - my fault. Admin won't log in and so I had to log in as "Ben Avery" user which was also an administrator account).

Now the only log in which works is the guest account (with no administrator privileges) and so I cannot re-activate my Ben Avery account and start to fix the problems.

When I try to open the users section of the control panel, it asks for the administrator to log in. I have never set any passwords for the administrator or Ben Avery accounts yet I cannot log in to them at all.

Anyone help??? Please - I don't wanna have to reinstall again!

BA

Lú-tzé 08:00 03 Jul 2003

If you boot with the Win2k disk, you can launch the recovery console which should get you back on track.

click here for more details

http:// support. microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=click here

AndySD 10:10 03 Jul 2003

Ben

When you load windows 2k you HAVE to set an administrator Password its an account all by itself and at the logon screen you can type in administrator then the password to get into Windows.

Ben Avery 10:32 03 Jul 2003

I used to log in as Administrator and as I said, it never had a password. However, when I try to log in as administrator now, it tells me that the domain information is incorrect but doesn't have a domain login box to try out the various things it could be.

I'm confused!

BA

Squall 10:48 03 Jul 2003

have an options button?

If it does press it - it should then show you what you are trying to log into, either a domain or the local computer.

Can you also give us some more info about your set up, are you on a network, who mucked with your pc etc?

AndySD 10:48 03 Jul 2003

Ok

Can you give me the Exact error for " domain information or something is incorrect"

Also have you tried to get into safe mode?

AndySD 10:50 03 Jul 2003

Thanks Squall

I was starting to think aalong those lines.....

It may also e worth trying unpluging the network cable and trying to log on.

Ben Avery 10:50 03 Jul 2003

Will update you tonight as I'm at work now and PC aint!

Yes I attempted safe mode but safe mode asked for the same login details and so wouldn't work either. Again, only option was to log in as guest with no privileges.

D'oh!

BA

MichelleC 10:55 03 Jul 2003

Can't you go to 'last known good configuration' - is this the same as system restore?

Ben Avery 10:56 03 Jul 2003

Yes the option button is extended to the full amount. All it shows is the option to "log on using dial up" tick box and the small blue square with the language setting in.

Ben Avery 10:56 03 Jul 2003

opens up the same options.

Tryed that one!

BA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?