Win 2000 to XP

2stroketim 12:31 29 Aug 2006

Hi- My very first thread and quite a novice so please bear with me: Have purchased from work my dell laptop running win 2000 and would like to remove win 2000 along with the security sign on screen and install xp from fresh. Have been looking on the forum for ideas and it looks like I need a win 98 start up disk however my laptop only has a cd rom so a few questions:
1. How do I format the drive to remove all software if I only have a cd rom (haven't got a portabe disk drive)
2. Is there any other info I need to provide to help answer the question.
In anticipation..rgds

ArrGee 12:40 29 Aug 2006

Might be an idea to post the model of the laptop. This way we can check the specs and see if it will run XP well enough.

pb457 12:44 29 Aug 2006

If you put the Windows 98 Installation Cd into the drive and the laptop is set to boot from CD, then the laptop will boot from that CD and take you into the installation, the Installer will ask you if you wish to format, and you can say yes. After the format you can install windows 98, and then the XP upgrade. As long as you dont wish to save any files on the laptop this method should work.
To boot from CD you need to go into the bios, del to enter setup. on boot up. then you can change the boot sequence in their so it will look in the CD drive before the hard drive. Its difficult to tell you the exact sequence because the bios layout is different for every machine.

2stroketim 12:53 29 Aug 2006

Hi ArrGee, the model is a Dell Latitude D610, hope this helps, thanks

Strawballs 13:09 29 Aug 2006

If you access Bios and set to boot from CD rom first (when booting up it should say how to do this for a short time IE press F2 to enter setup it might be something different some say DEL)then put your XP disc in the drive and reboot and follow instructions.

Strawballs 13:11 29 Aug 2006
  2stroketim 11:23 30 Aug 2006

Thnaks very much to those who offered me help on this, it worked a treat !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?