Win 2000 Pro or XP Pro ?

The Gaf 11:32 23 Jan 2004

Are there any benefits of upgrading from Win 2kPro to XP Pro? If so, would I merely insert the XP Pro CD and instal?.If Would installing XP Pro affect any existing files and peripherals ie. scanner/printer etc.

spikeychris 12:18 23 Jan 2004

I know your going for Pro and its just as well as Windows 2K will only upgrade to Windows XP Pro, not Windows XP Home.

Check this link to be sure the computer is ready for Windows XP: click here Just bang the upgrade disk in the drive and off you go.

Also see this link: click here

HighTower 13:33 23 Jan 2004

I was a die hard Windows 2000 fan, but was upgraded to XP Pro at work and now love it. Windows 2000 worked very well, XP Pro does the same for me but is a bit prettier and easier on the eye.

If I had to pay for the upgrade out of my own pocket then I would think twice about it as XP Pro doesn't really do anything than W2K doesn't.

Apparently the guys who performed the upgrade just popped the disk in, ran a hardware check and clicked the "Install XP Pro" menu and that was it. All your files, preferences etc remain just as they were in 2000, and you'll find that most software and drivers that run under 2000 also runs under XP.

As usual, before upgrading or changing an operating system back absolutely everything up!

Stuartli 13:51 23 Jan 2004

Just do it!

Had XP Pro for several months now; it's superbly stable, easy to use and never had one of those funny blue screens...

I think I shouldn't have written the last bit...:-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?