win 2000 network set up????

gizzyx 18:05 27 Jan 2007

i have 2 pc's connected to a router. desktop pc running win 2k, and laptop rnning xp home. my problem is this:- shared folders on each pc, the desktop can "see" and access the shared folders on the laptop but not the other way round. on the laptop, if i try to add a network place (shared folder on the desktop) i can navigate through entire network down to the workgroup and the desktop is "seen" as a workgroup computer, but cannot access it. i've tried using network setup disc created on laptop (winxp) but it doesn't work on the desktop (win2k).how do i configure desktop (win2k)so the laptop can see the shared folders? hope this make sense to all you clever folks out there!!!

Strawballs 21:54 27 Jan 2007

It could be a firewall on the desktop that is blocking the connection

mgmcc 22:26 27 Jan 2007

Has any firewall software in the Win 2k PC been configured to allow access to the XP laptop?

In the Sharing permissions, is it set to allow "everyone" Full Control, Change and Read? I don't pretend to know anything about the complexities of permissions in Win 2k and XP Pro, but those are the settings I have in Win 2k and network access is allowed.

gizzyx 11:24 28 Jan 2007

it's a firewall issue. sorted. thanx.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017