Win 2000 - Help please

denali 10:06 09 Oct 2004

I appreciate this is very presumtious of me, but is there a kind soul out there who could possibly loan me a 2000 disk. My daughter has had this O/S for three years without a hitch, until now. I just cannot get in to do anything. everything she has is backed up on the HD but I cannot access it. I spent all last evening on the 2000 website and the concensus is I need the disk. I am loathe to format or anything else because she has almost two years of college work installed. I was thinking of XP. but she would need almost a complete set of equipment, according to the compatability report. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 10:58 09 Oct 2004

Do you have another PC onto which you can install her disk as slave and in that way access the data that is there?

denali 18:35 09 Oct 2004

Diodorus Siculus
Thank you for your response. I had thought of this but know very little about PCs. I have a new Meridon with XP Pro and the last thing I want is to mess it up

Diodorus Siculus 18:54 09 Oct 2004

It should be easy enough - just be sure that the jumpers are set to make it a slave disk and it should be recognised upon boot up.

denali 18:58 09 Oct 2004

Diodorus Siculus.
Thanks again. I think I shall leave it for now -gutless?- and see if anyone is kind enough to lend me the disk

Diodorus Siculus 19:04 09 Oct 2004

Do you have the cd key for win 2000?

wobblymike 19:25 09 Oct 2004

Hi

I don't see what getting a 2000 disk is going to do to help your problem - I must agree with Diodorus Siculus abobe install it as a slave and reload your OS onto a new HDD and then recover your data - unless the HDD is completely kaput you should be able to do it. If you want a walk through as to how to do it post back and I'll happily oblige. Do you have an OS on a disc?

denali 23:13 09 Oct 2004

wobblymike:
Thank you for your kind offer. I gratefully accept. I do not have the disk or o/s number. It was pre-installed when I bought the PC for my daughter over three years ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?